Thursday, June 16, 2011

Dolly Cakes

For about 5 years I have been a part of an online group of women (and a few brave men) who initially met up talking about food and recipes but as in real life... quickly gave way to discussions of books, films and family. When Robert and I started thinking about the new shop and what exactly we would be doing , of course I would post ideas for feedback from this group of wonderful thoughtful people. They happen to live all over  the world and have given great insight. The past few weeks I have been thinking about an item I wanted to create for the pastry case at Southern Plenty. Not knowing about my search, an online friend, Megan (from California) posted the first recipe her mom taught her to make at age 6. She mentioned it originally came from Sunset Magazine which happened to be a welcome read in my house while growing up in Southern California. To the recipe I added cocoa powder to the batter, macadamia nuts and cinnamon sugar on top. When I asked Megan what her moms name was she said everyone called her Dolly. I knew that would be the perfect name for this new creation. It was inspired by a loving mom who inspired her daughter who inspired me. Thanks Dolly, thanks Megan.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much, mary, mom would be proud!

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a friend of dear Megan! This story - or how this all came about is this - GRACE! Good Luck on your store and I hope you sell a million Dolly Cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post Mary - I love them all. and I want to come and live at Southern Plenty please

    Jane R x

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely! I adore a recipe with a story. Hope all is going well at Southern Plenty Mary, it all looks so wonderful.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comments. I have to say I feel fully in my element at Southern Plenty and am enjoying every bit of this new adventure. Robert seems to be having a great time as well.

    ReplyDelete